How it Works
DigniCap® – The Intelligent Scalp Cooling System™
With the introduction of the Dignicap Intelligent Scalp Cooling System, hair loss from chemotherapy is no longer inevitable.
Some chemotherapy drugs can damage your hair cells. Cooling of the scalp is a proven approach to reduce chemotherapy-induced hair loss that has been used successfully by tens of thousands of patients worldwide.
The reduced temperature results in a reduced blood flow to the scalp area so that less chemotherapy reaches the hair cells. In addition, cellular metabolism within the hair cells is slowed down. Hair cells are therefore not exposed to the full dose of chemotherapy and may be able to survive the chemotherapy treatment.
The DigniCap® Intelligent Scalp Cooling System™
An Intelligent System…
The DigniCap® system is designed to provide automated continuous cooling with high efficacy, safety and acceptable patient comfort.
The DigniCap® system consists of a snug-fitting silicone cooling cap connected to a cooling and control unit. Coolant circulates through channels in the cap. Sensors in the cap monitor scalp temperature allowing the system to automatically regulate cooling temperature throughout the treatment. To make this process more comfortable, the cooling cap is at room temperature when placed on the head and the treatment temperature is gradually achieved over a short period of time.
A separate safety sensor in the cap ensures that the temperature never drops below the freezing point of 32°F (0°C). To ensure optimal treatment temperature, an outer insulating cap of neoprene is applied over the silicone cap.
Key System Features
- Gradual cool-down from room temperature provides patient comfort
- Self regulating temperature control system automatically detects and adjusts cooling temperature based on the scalp temperature detected by two separate sensors built into the cap
- Two independently controlled continuous cooling systems enable simultaneous treatment of two patients
- Quick-disconnect allows caps to be easily detached from the machine to accommodate bathroom breaks
- Intuitive touch screen interface simplifies system operation for infusion center staff, allows time and temperature settings to be easily altered for different chemotherapy regimens and patient comfort.
- Flash memory, DIGNISTICK™, makes it possible to save data from each scalp cooling treatment and facilitates software upgrades
…Demands an Equally Brilliant Cap
The DigniCap® cooling cap is a molded silicone cap. Available in multiple sizes to insure a personalized fit, it has a smooth inner surface to enable optimal contact between scalp and cap. The DigniCap® cooling cap features built-in, patented technology for improved performance and comfort.
Key Cap Features
- Smooth inner surface for optimal scalp contact
- Shaped to leave patients’ ears uncovered for comfort and ease of hearing
- Cap is at room temperature when fitted to the patient’s head for increased patient comfort
- Available in multiple sizes to enable personalized fit for effective scalp cooling
- Patented dual sensor-monitored cooling channels (front and rear) for temperature management to ensure consistent, uniform cooling across the entire scalp
- Outer neoprene cap, DigniTherm™ for optimal fit and treatment temperature
- Built-in security sensor ensures scalp temperature never falls below 32°F (0°C).
Scalp Cooling Alternatives: The DigniCap® Intelligent Scalp Cooling System™ vs Manual Cold Caps
There are currently two major alternatives in the U.S. for scalp cooling: the DigniCap® system and manual cold caps.
Manual Cold Caps
Prior to the FDA clearance of the DigniCap® system, the manual cold caps were the only real option for scalp cooling in the United States. These caps must be kept in special freezers or in coolers with dry ice. The caps are applied to the patients head already chilled down to -25°C which can cause significant discomfort. In addition, because the caps warm up during treatment, patients must be refitted with a new chilled cap approximately every 30 minutes.
Because manual caps are not cleared by the FDA, infusion centers are precluded from offering the manual cap treatments to patients. Patients have to manage all arrangements themselves, including renting or buying the caps from suppliers, arranging for a freezer or dry ice, transporting the caps and coolers back and forth to the infusion center for each treatment and arranging for assistance to refit the caps throughout treatment.
The DigniCap® Intelligent Scalp Cooling System™
By contrast to manual cold caps, the DigniCap® system is designed for patient confidence, convenience and comfort.
The DigniCap® system is the first scalp cooling system to be cleared by the FDA to treat chemotherapy-induced hair loss for breast cancer patients. The clearance was granted subsequent to the completion of a rigorous clinical trial held at five separate prestigious medical institutions. Prior to FDA clearance, the DigniCap® system has successfuly treated thousands of patients in countries around the world.
Because the DigniCap® system is cleared by the FDA, U.S. infusion centers will be able to offer the service directly to patients. Patients simply show up at the infusion center for their chemo session, the DigniCap® treatment is handled entirely by the infusion center staff.
Since DigniCap® is an automated continuous cooling system, the cap is fitted only once during each treatment, the cap temperature never drops below freezing and the cap is gradually cooled down from room temperature to treatment temperature.
The DigniCap® System vs Manual Cold Caps
Find out where The DigniCap® Scalp Cooling System is currently available.